Patrick Massey MD, PhD
Patrick Massey MD, PhD, ALT-MED Medical and Physical Therapy, Elk Grove Village, IL and serving the Chicago area
What makes Dr. Massey different? Listen to his patients:
- Dr. Massey really wants to hear your whole story...not just look at lab results and MRIs...he listens...concerned about you.
- He wants to heal...not just prescribe drugs...takes his time.
- He listens...first 30 minutes, he did not say a word...I did all of the talking...and he was looking at me, not typing into a computer.
- He said to me..."it's not in your head or becasue of your age or being female." He did not dismiss me - he listened and found a solution.
- A 30 minute office visit...I'm lucky if I even see my doctor - they all use physician assistants and nurses. 30 minutes with Dr. Massey - every time!
- He teaches...he drew the biochemical diagrams showing me where the problem was and had an answer. My other doctors don't even talk with me...they lecture and leave.
- Every time I see my physician, a new prescription...not with Dr. Massey.
- Dr. Massey is a regular doctor, expert in alternative medicine and an energy healer...met a lot of physicians - regular and alternative. No one does what Dr. Massey's does.
- He asked me about everything...most complete first visit ever...and he showed me how it all fits together.
- Seven physicians and no result. Saw Dr. Massey and he put it all together. My condition does not even have a specific diagnosis. He really, really listens.
- I am not sure how to describe what Dr. Massey does...except that he heals. This is what medicine is suppose to be.
- Way ahead of the curve! Thank you.
Dr. Massey practices integrative medicine the way it should be. He is medical director of Complementary and Alternative Medicine for the Alexian Brothers Hospital Network.
Dr. Massey received his MD from Rush University and his PhD in immunology from Northwestern University Graduate School of Medicine. He also is a graduate fellow in the Program in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona.
In addition to being a physician, Dr. Massey is also a medical intuitive and certified energy medicine practioner. He has been energentically sensitive since early childhood.
Dr. Massey is nationally recognized as a leader in integrative medicine and has been utilizing the best of traditional and non-traditional medicine (integrative) for over 20 years.
Graduate Fellowship, 2000-2002
Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona Medical School & Andrew Weil MD, Tucson AZ
M.D., 1986, Rush University Medical School, Chicago, IL
PhD, 1982, Northwestern University, Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Immunology/Microbiology Chicago, IL
MS, 1977, Roosevelt University, Dept. of Microbiology Chicago, IL
BS, 1975, University of Illinois, Chicago IL
- Medical Director, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Alexian Brothers Hospital Network, Elk Grove Village IL
- President, ALT-MED Medical and Physical Therapy Program, Elk Grove Village, IL
- Fellow, College of Physicians, American Association of Integrative Medicine
- Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Member, American Association of Integrative Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Pain Management
- Medical Attending, Department of Medicine, Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, IL
- Clinical Instructor, Integrative Medicine, Loyola University Medical School
- Bi-Weekly Columnist, Alternative Approach, Daily Herald, Arlington Heights IL
- 1989-92 Assistant Professor/Medical Attending, Department of Medicine, Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. He K., Rimm E. etal. Fish Consumption and Risk of Stroke in Men. JAMA. 2002
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Shults C etal. 2003. Effects of Coenzyme Q10 in Early Parkinson's Disease. Archives of Neurology 59: 1541-1550.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Michalsen A., S. Moebus. 2002. Leech Therapy for Symptomatic Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis: Results and Implications of a Pilot Study. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine 8:84-88.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Kong J, Cho Z-H etal. 2002. A pilot study of functional magnetic resonance imaging of the brain during manual and electroacupuncture stimulation of the acupuncture point (LI-4 Hegu) in normal subjects reveals differential brain activation between methods. Acupuncture: the search for biologic evidence with functional magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography techniques. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 8: 414-19.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. 2002. Ludtke R, B Kunz et al. Test-retest-reliability and validity of the kinesiology muscle test. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 9: 141-145.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Kai-Sze F, Wong E etal. 2002. Does acupuncture have additional value to standard poststroke motor rehabilitation? Stroke 1: 186-194.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Mullins R, Heddle R. 2002. Adverse Reactions associated with echinacea: the Australian experience. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 88: 42-51.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Lee D, Chan K-W et al. 2002. Relaxation music decreases the dose of patient-controlled sedation during colonoscopy: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 55: 33-36.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Soeken K, Lee WL. 2002. Safety and efficacy of S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) for osteoarthritis. Journal of Family Practice 51: 425-430.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Fletcher R, Fairfield K. 2002. Vitamins for chronic disease prevention in adults. JAMA 287: 3127-3129.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Carlsson C, Sjölund B. 2002. Acupuncture for Chronic Low Back Pain: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study With Long-Term Follow-Up. The Clinical Journal of Pain 17: 296-305.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Margolin A. 2002. Acupuncture for the treatment of cocaine addiction? JAMA 287: 55-63.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. Mauskop A. 2002. Alternative therapies in headache. Is there a role? Medical Clinics of North America 85: 1077-1084.
- Massey P.B., D. Massey. Tai Chi and Cancer. Instructional and informational video for Cancer Institute at the Alexian Brothers Medical Center. 2002
- Massey PB 2002. Dietary Supplements. Medical Clinics North Amer. 86:127-147.
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. 2001. Gaytan R, Prisant M. Oral Nutritional Supplements and Heart Disease: A Review? American Journal of Therapeutics 8:255-274..
- Massey PB. Medical Review. Oakstone Publications/Johns Hopkins University. 2001. Dahl N. Herbs and Supplements in Dialysis Patients: Panacea or Poison? Seminars in Dialysis 14:186-92. 2001
- Massey PB, A Perlman. 1999. Lasting Resolution of Chronic Thoracic Neuritis Through A Martial Art-Based Physical Therapy Approach. Alternative Therapies in Medicine 5:104-105.
- Massey P.B., G.M. Kisling. 1999 A single case report of healing through specific martial therapy: Comparison of magnetic resonance imaging to clinical resolution in severe cervical stenosis. J Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Research on Paradigm, Practice and Policy 5:75-79.
- Massey P.B. 1998. Medicine and martial arts. A brief historical perspective. Alternat Compl Therapies 4: 438-444.
- Massey P.B., D.K. Massey, G.M. Kisling 1998. Martial art therapy for herniated discs and chronic pain Alternat Compl Ther 4:128-133.
- Massey PB, E. Thorner, W. Preston, J. Lee. 1993. Increased lung capacity through Qigong breathing techniques of the Chung Moo martial art style. J. Asian Martial Arts. 2:70.
- Massey PB and BS Kim. 1985. Effects of phosphorylcholine-lippopolysaccharide conjugates on the induction of anti-idiotype-mediated B cell tolerance. Molec. Immunol. 22:655.
- Kim BS and PB Massey. 1983. Polyvalent epitope inhibits but added with anti-idiotype antibody enhances idiotype suppression. J. Immunol. 131:1355.
- Kim BS and PB Massey. 1982. Induction of T-15 specific suppressor T cells in mice with the CBA/N defect by neonatal injection of anti-T15id antibody. J. Immunol. 128:1145.
- Massey PB and BS Kim. 1981. Mechanisms of idiotype suppression. III. Resistance of PBA-induced anti-idiotype responses to in vitro idiotype suppression. J. Immunol. 127:199
I thought you may want to hear the latest update with regards to my former back problems...I recently won the state racket ball championships and the regionals in Chicago...in addition, I am lifting weights for conditioning, play golf and tennis and pretty much do anything I want to the..you gave me back a major part of my life that was missing.
- Jim Luzar
View All Patient Comments